Saturday, April 26, 2008

Day trip

Youngest daughter came into my bedroom (very early) to alert me to the fact that she had rung in 'sick' from work and that she was going back to bed to catch up on some sleep. "Good morning dearest, as soon as I'm fully awake I'm going to come into your room and let you know that I am now awake. And I sure hope you're sleeping at the time!"

Eldest daughter cruised up to me, smiled, asked how I was, what I was up to (subtle as a sledgehammer) and then asked how I felt about her going over to her friends place for the arvo and the evening cause they had made THE BEST pumpkin soup. (N.B she has been spending a lot of time there lately but not doing her share of the chores and is clearly running out of excuses). "NO! But I am happy to go buy some pumpkin and we can make our own pumpkin soup to take on our ' dusk on the beach' family 'togetherness' moment we talked about only 30 min ago. And what do you mean they make the BEST pumpkin soup. I am fairly certain that my pumpkin soup used to be THE BEST. Daughter now in her room chanting the chorus 'I'm bored!" "Well you shouldn't have challenged my pumpkin SOUP!" Daughter suggests that my dusk moment better be brilliant. "(Muttered under breathe) Oh, I'm sure if you're there my lovely, with your current attitude, it should be magnificent.

Went to treat myself to a Kit Kat and found the bag still in the food cupboard, EMPTY. "First born, you had better start running. That will be a great alternative to being bored!"

Eldest daughter comes out of bedroom and has just poured herself a Pepsi drink. "Excuse me, is that MY Pepsi Max you're pouring?........ I thought you hated Pepsi Max?......... What do you mean if there was apple juice you wouldn't be forced to drink my Pepsi Max?....... Exactly how many litres of apple juice is good for you?.......... What do you mean it's my fault you're bored? (This one is definitely her mother's daughter! ) I do make THE BEST pumpkin soup!.... When did this become about the pumpkin soup? ......... I do not have Alzheimer's!

Youngest daughter wingeing and whining and driving just about everyone up the wall with a sore ankle. "Darling, the doctor said it was a very mild sprain". The face has gone like thunder. "I'm not suggesting you're a bit of a hypochondriac at all. The eyebrows are securely knit together and smoke is escaping from her ears. "It has been three days now since you ever so slightly went over on your ankle." There she goes hobbling to her room. "I think a little bit of pumpkin soup will make it all better, my dear." Door slams!


Well, call me weak, call me a pushover or just call me subtly controlling. Eldest went to her friends on the condition she took her sister along and that the next day ( ANZAC day) we were going on a day trip (no excuses, no complaints, no hysterics, no sleep-ins and no mention of pumpkin soup).

Our day trip

Rise and shine

While pretending to be checking Google for directions and attractions I checked on a few of my favorite blogs.

Took a deep breathe as I filled up with petrol (extraordinarily inflated at the moment)

Recovered a little with a coffee.

Okay, Already! I admit I was blogging instead of road mapping!

Waited for a very large bus (full of Americans) to have their turn at discovering the magic of the whispering

Then it was my turn. If you whisper up against one end of the dam it can be heard all the way around the other side. The Americans absolutely loved it and were quite impressed with my tourist guide skills (give me an audience and....)

Took in the view


Drove to Gummeracca to climb the largest rocking horse in the world (that's right, the world!)

Found Melba Chocolate factory and became their official tester.

Drove through a tiny little town (pop 20). Absolutely no shame!
Eldest daughter hijacked the car (something about pumpkin soup?))


Very popular German settlement (Hahndorf). They sell these things called 'bumburners'. Very Hot sausages. I kid you not!

Nearly home. Everyone still talking. I feel a bit embarrassed actually. I considered not showing this last photo. More junk food, after all we had eaten.



It was a great day. We had lots of laughs. By journey's end I had convinced Eldest daughter that I made THE BEST pumpkin soup.

No comments: