Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Beep..........Beep......... Beep.....

I have often sat and pondered (and wondered) what it would take to finally topple me over the edge of sanity.


Well, I need ponder no more!

I really can't think of anything worse (at the moment) than that insistent, mind bending, gonna scream, holding on to the edge sound that the (potentially life - saving) smoke alarm gadget makes when it is trying to alert you to a battery change.

Problem/s is (are)
  • This place has high ceilings (way, way high)
  • I am height challenged
  • I do not own a ladder
  • My neighbour (who does) is at work
  • I can't stand one more beep
  • The landlord said (last time) that we were not to touch the smoke alarm (under any circumstances) as it had high voltage
  • They called in a very expensive electrician
  • Landlord has changed his mind (no doubt due to the excessive account from sent electrician)
  • I have dragged my chester drawers from my bedroom (the tallest, sturdiest thing in the house) on my own
  • I think I may have scratched the floor
  • Standing on tippy toe I just reach the circular thing that houses the battery
  • Clearly I'm not up with the technical terms
  • Superman clearly screwed it on tight
  • I have somehow managed to unscrew the cap and have given the electric cord a little tug
  • It's now just dangling down
  • I have this white powdery stuff all over me - oops!
  • I can't see the battery
  • Have to have a fiddle, poke and prod (an obvious death defying act)
  • Just spoke to friend whose husband is an electrician ( Sorry Ali, one more beep and I'm over the edge - but thanks for the offer)
  • Friend suggests I turn off the power
  • Thank God for sane and rational friends
  • I've had another coffee and I'm now ready to kill that beep,....beep.... beep....monster
  • Have I mentioned that I get a little dizzy when I look upwards. No?
  • No problem, I'll just feel my way around without actually looking up (can be done - I hope)
  • Damn!!!!! It needs one of those four pronged screw drivers.
  • Anybody seen that screwdriver thingy- me -bobby?
  • My fix it yourself mutterings has woken eldest daughter (can anything else go wrong?)
  • Eldest daughter not to good in mornings (not exactly crack of dawn!)
  • Anybody know how to cut off power?
  • Okay, power stays on!


Well, just in case this is my last blog.

It's been fun guys!


------------------------------------------------------------


MISSION ACCOMPLISHED



My eldest wants me to make it very clear that she was absolutely instrumental in providing such a positive outcome.

Thank you eldest - you truly are a life - saver!

2 comments:

Linds said...

There you go.... she says dusting off her hands! Well done!

Aliadelaide said...

Oh Mary that was very funny. I think your blog should be recomended laughter therapy for all!! You are very good at defusing what could be (potentially)dangerous situations