Sunday, October 19, 2008

My favourite first born had a birthday

On Thursday (16th) it was my eldest daughters birthday. My favorite first born child is now twenty three. Twenty three! Where, oh where have those years gone?

It seems only fitting that I take this opportunity of introducing my eldest girl with a few baby tales.

Full name is Ellisha (no middle name) - a bug bear of hers that comes up frequently and usually in a whinny, 'how come I have no middle name?' sort of grilling! My middle name is Ann but I have never been called Ann, nor referred to as Ann. So that's that and let's just drop it shall we my dear.

Ellisha was a honeymoon baby (thought you might want to know this fact- mmm). Ellisha's pregnancy was very difficult (a thesis in itself). She eventually came into the world via an emergency cesarean. When I woke from the anesthetic I thought the nurse said I had lost her. She said, "you had a beautiful baby girl!", my foggy brain registered that to be past tense.

She was beautiful (and still is) and very much alive. I know a lot of mothers try and suggest their baby smiled really, really early, but Ellisha really, really did. Day two she blessed us with a huge smile (even the cleaner said that it was genuine and not wind).

What a dream baby - well almost. She was, in fact, a finicky little feeder. Took about 1 hour of swapping from nipple to nipple before she would settle for a good feed. Perhaps the fact that I remained excruciatingly engorged (so much so that during feeding everyone else had to clear the room because the milk from unused breast was missile- like.) No kidding! Oh yes, and when she fed her legs were out stiff. Here's a photo to prove it.

She was a fantastic sleeper - sleeping right through the night from 9 weeks. No colic. No grizzles.

What's more no 'terrible two' tantrums (totally forbidden). If it looked like she was about to throw a wobbly I would scoop her up, distract her and suggest that she try another way of expressing her frustrations. She was a rather obliging toddler.

As a young tacker she did have this scary relational thing going on with complete strangers that we happened to bump into when out at the shops. She would approach them, tap them on the leg and say, "I love you!".

Yep, she was really embracing the 'Jesus loves you' concept- with passion ;)

As for the walking. That's a story worth sharing. It goes like this:
By her first birthday I suspected she was just about ready to take her first independent steps - all the signs were there. It came to her birthday and we had a little party. No matter what coaxing methods I used to entice the girl to walk ( my un-cooperative and stubborn first born) refused to entertain the guests. She would stand, stare, then smugly plonk herself on the ground (I stand by the smug look). Anyhow, eventually the guests left and still darling daughter had not fulfilled my expectation for her to be walking by her first birthday. Hubby went out and Ellisha and I were all alone at home. About half an hour after the last person left I was sitting on the lounge having a well earned cup of tea when little Miss stubborn pulled herself up and ran out of the lounge, down the corridor and back into the lounge via the kitchen doors. She was giggling as she did it. I am not making this up. She did not tentatively wobble, nor did she hold onto anything - she ran.

When she came back into the lounge (to be greeted by a wide eyed, open mouthed mother) she raised her hands into the air, laughed, and then plonked herself back onto the floor. Of course I frantically dialed all the numbers in my directory just to be greeted with disbelief. Fortunately (for her) she backed the performance up the next day with a solid little gallop around the lounge - and basically hasn't looked back since. To her credit she got into the finals for the Australian under 13 National Athletics Championships (100 m hurdles and high jump). She still holds the State record for Little Atletics under 17's in the 200m hurdles and high jump. She is a terrific netballer and not bad at basketball. However, please don't make me talk about her swimming achievements - or for that matter, even her style - pretty pathetic - which is sad seeing as I can't run or jump but boy can I swim!

So my favourite first born is now twenty three.

I brought her up proper (honest;)).
Oh well, I guess she is her mother's daughter!!!

Sorry mum!
Happy Birthday my favourite first born.



13 comments:

Crystal said...

Happy Birthday, Ellisha! I wish I could hear you say her name - I'm sure it's different than how I'm saying it. Thank for sharing the stories - it's always nice to learn more about someone. You forgot to tell us what she's up to these days - just saying! Take care!!

Linds said...

I could have SWORN I had left a comment the day you posted this - I NEVER ignore your splendid posts. Or were we talking at the time I read it and maybe I wrote it on messenger??? Pah!

Linds said...

Happy Birthday Ellisha! I am not ignoring your birthday - I hope you had a wonderful day!

Linds said...

You want comments????? My pleasure. I don't get any interruptions this way....

Linds said...

I found the diet on a blog - you do it for 7days and lose 10-17 lbs. Hah!

Linds said...

And then you stop for a couple of days. You make this veg soup and eat loads of it whenever you are hungry. I have made it

Linds said...

and it makes so much that I had to borrow a jam making pot to cook it in

Linds said...

I am expecting to be a shadow of my former self by next week.

Linds said...

or orange. There are 2 pounds of carrots in it.

Linds said...

Hey - Edith has some wedding photos up!

Mary said...

Thanks Linds my love. You have helped me reach an all time 'most comments from any one post' landmark!

By the way I could hear you laughing all the way from down here;)

Anonymous said...

It sounds like she was walking all along...just out of eyesight. LOL

JulieMom said...

What a sweet post! Happy (belated) birthday to her! And to her mother for keeping up with her trickiness. :0)