Wednesday, January 28, 2009

sizzling summer

This is not a whine or a whinge or an ungrateful outburst. No way! Honest....

It could however be the ranting and ramblings of someone with heat-stroke - maybe, possible - more than likely!!!!!

So, today was rather hot. No doubt about it - most of us were holding back from darting around too much.

The school asserted some good sense by enforcing the hot weather policy and forbidding the students from leaving the classroom. This makes sense as the rooms are air - conditioned. My non - whinge is the fact that here in SA we (teachers) get the privilege of staying in with the students. No relief. No toilet breaks. No lunch. No siree - we take our duty of care seriously. Had to laugh really. The school value we are looking at this week is, 'getting along' - hmmmmmm!!!!!!

Practice what you preach sweetie. Practice what you preach!

So, I made it through the day and felt right proud of myself. No murders - not one.

I walked to the car knowing that it was going to be a tad hot. A tad? Blimey - it was stifling. My little fingers did a frantic dance trying to get a hold on the burning steering wheel. A little first aid on the blisters and off I went.


Actually, all things considered, I thought I was coping with the heat quite well. I was mentally ready for the predicted 44 degrees. And then the little man in my radio announced that it was currently 45.7 degress Celsius. Wait a minute - just checking the date. Nope - it's not April 1st.

Are you kidding me? 45.7 degrees - that's 114 degrees F. That's bloody hot (please excuse the good old Aussie slang).

Suddenly I am not doing quite as well as I thought. What a difference a bit of information can make.

What are we doing out in this temp? Why are people walking across the street? Why are those kids sitting at the bus stop?

Why aren't we all hiding in our fridges?

Problem solving skills - that's the answer.

A nice cool shower maybe? Oh dear - we are in the middle of a drought.
Crank up the air-conditioner perhaps? Oh no! The grids are over loaded and we are having a power rest(??????)
A cool beer - Don't drink.

What to do?

Then I remembered. A nice luke-warm cup of tea. That will do the trick. The un-scientific theory is that if you drink a lukewarm cup of tea it brings your internal temp to that of the outside and then you feel cooler. Well, that's the theory!

In all honesty, I am considering filling the hot water bottle with water and slipping it in the freezer.

I just went into my bedroom (has no cooling system) and according to my recipe book I could bake a cake in there. Well. I am not sure about the frozen water bottle but the sheets are definitely going to sit in the fridge for an hour or two. The idea is that you have a very quick cool shower, grab the sheets out of the fridge and then dive onto the bed with the sheets draped around you. Hopefully you fall asleep before they convert into a hot blanket.

What? You think I kid?

So, the weather lady just informed us that it is our hottest day in 70 years. Thanks honey - I feel so much better for knowing that.

What did she just say?

We can look forward to 6 more days of 40 degree plus days?

Excuse me Crystal - could you make up the spare bed cause I am thinking -35 degrees is sounding doable right now.

Mind you, those poor tennis champs had to play tough tennis at the Australian Open - 50 degrees on the court before they closed the roof. Now that puts my heat comfort into perspective - right?

Well,I gotta go - I am off to sit in the ice cube tray now.

P.S. Although this may have resembled a bit of a whine it wasn't - honest!

It may have been a little heat stroke rambling though.

And now - let's hear it for for the power of positive thinking....

I'm cool! I'm cool! I'm cool!

Actually, I'm way too hot to be cool - if you get my drift?

5 comments:

Linds said...

Cool. Think penguins. Snow. Arctic. Ice. Glaciers. Freezing.

I am trying to hypnotise you here. You will be shivering soon. That is beyond amusing. 45.7C. No joke at all. At least the school still has the a/c running, so that is good. Any news on the contract yet?

Kym-Anne said...

Great idea about the sheets, I think I'd give the hot water bottle a go too! Good thing the school has A/C, you are a brave woman being stuck in a classroom with 30 odd hot cranky students!!
Me,25? I WISH! Those days are long gone for me I'm 37 and yep thats really me!

Rosaria Williams said...

Oh Mary, that is hot and unhealthy for everybody. Under those conditions everything and everybody should be excused.

Is this the result of global warming?

Therese said...

We live in Port Augusta and are very use to the heat but even here it seemed unbearable yesterday. I am hoping today will be a bit more bearable. We started our day at the pool and I feel great now.

Aliadelaide said...

Wow Mary...all day with no breaks...you're kidding,no chance of putting 2 classes together and sharing the breaks!? Our yesterday included two deaths...one poor little love-bird and one not so little black hen. It necessitated a quick shop today for inside bird cages for remaining love-bird and budgie. Still I won't complain either... Dh worked outside for 8 hours straight at Tanunda yesterday, in even less pleasant conditions than the tennis-pro's!