Saturday, January 24, 2009

Quilt update/Tagged

The Abstract Quilt

One of the most important quilting tips to remember is ..... to iron - and iron I did.


I confess straight up that there was plenty - I mean -like heaps - of this next activity going on.

But like I said in my 'Simple Woman' post - "If at first you don't succeed, - try - try - again".

And a special call goes out to Linds right now for her patient (mostly) and long suffering (always) encouragement. Cheers Linds - love ya.

This is where I am up to guys. What do you think? Funky heh?

Please remember this is my first (and possibly only) quilt so please don't take too much notice of the uno numero mistakes. I remember some one said that the Amish people left an imperfection on purpose because only God creates perfectly. I was going to scrap the whole thing until Ellisha suggested I stop all the fretting and fussing and just call it, 'Abstract quilting!' - works for me ;)

So, the next stage will commence real soon.

Ladies and Gentleman (drum roll please) may I present - THE SAFETY PINS.


Actually I can probably deal with the pins - but - and please don't think I am being disrespectful- but - I'll tell you what - I have been quietly praying for the rapture to come before I have to start the hand stitching.

Merrily I quilt away, quilt away, quilt away. Merrily I quilt away until the stitchings done.

Huge amounts of encouragement would be most appreciated (cheeky aren't I?)
_____________________________

I've been tagged by Crystal

The rules - Write 6 random things about myself, link the person who tagged you and post the rules. Tag six people and link them. Let them know they have been tagged.

1. When I was about 8yrs old my cousin threw a bat (during a game of rounders) and it landed on my head. I needed 24 stitches. The day the stitches were removed I climbed up a makeshift shelf in the kitchen (was told not to) and pulled the whole thing down (including plates etc) onto my head (I was stitched back up and then some). When my dad came home he thought my head was better and gave me a lovely pat on the head - ouch. Still have the scar to prove it!

2. Once, when I was about 10yrs old, our family went to the fabulous Butlins Holiday Camp. I was a huge success. I won the donkey race, the talent show and got then got so excited with my own successes I registered myself in the Junior Ballroom Dance Competition. The girls and boys looked lovely in their pretty ballroom gowns and tux's. As for me, I was wearing my one and only summer frock and plimsoles. I whipped around that room with my younger brother as if I was going to win that competition as well - I didn't - but I did get an honourable mention - for tenacity - and I was on the following years brochure.

3. I was so naughty (rebellious) in high school that I went from an A grade student to being put on probation in year 11 (4th year high back then). If it wasn't for the Principal who rather thought I was amusing I would have been kicked out long before. The dear old lady had a table just near hers with little jobs for me to do. So, when the teacher marched me out the classroom straight to the office - a daily event - I was very helpful. Ha! - and now I am a teacher. What goes round comes round - right?

4. I went on a holiday to The Northern Territory when I was a late teen. It was hot, so hot. I grabbed an airbed and ran into the water for a float and a paddle. After a little while I was nearly bumped off the airbed from underneath. I jokingly called out for one of the lads to stop being silly. From a distance he replied that he was no where near me. After some rather frantic yelling from the tour guide I came back in. It works out that the bump was from a crocodile. Completely missed the sign - 'Do not swim - Crocodile territory'.

5. I woke up one night and found myself sitting on my bed eating a chocolate cake - clearly I felt a little chocolate deprived.

6. I was at the concert where Cliff Richard told his fans (for the first time) that he had become a christian.

I would like to invite some friends to join in the fun.

Linds
Alison
Edith
Judith
Nana K (but I think you have already been tagged)
Margaret
Heidi

7 comments:

Kym-Anne said...

The quilt top looks great,
well done!! You have done a great job, it looks so fun and funky!

Butterfly Mama said...

That quilt is very fun, quite ambitious of you to take on such a task. Every afghan I've ever tried to crochet is still half way done!!

Fun random things, I'll see what I can come up with!
Heidi

Linds said...

It is looking really good, Mary! Well done!!
I will do the 6 things in the next few days. Crocodiles, ballroom dancing...good grief.... I will have to think hard what to list!

Anonymous said...

Hi!
I've popped over from Heidi's page (I'm her Mom) I love your quilt. It is so bright and cheery! You are very ambitious. I must admit that I have a couple of quilt top wall hangings still to be quilted. I always go back to knitting!

Judith said...

Mary, I admire your taking on this challenge. Wading into unknown skills takes courage, and think how proud you will be when that quilt is all finished. There's a lot to be said for sticking with something even when it is difficult. But I hope the Rapture holds off a while.

Rosaria Williams said...

This quilting looks like fun. I might just take the time and learn how to start being crafty and making beautiful, useful items.

sixtyfivewhatnow.blogspot.com

JulieMom said...

I love your quilt material choices! That will brighten up any room you choose to use it in. So cute!