Friday, January 9, 2009

Le bike ride

The BIG event that I was (some what) excited about and also (some what) dreading finally arrived. The alarm had been set for the the early get away. Backpack - check. Camera - check. Water bottle - Check. Sunscreen - Check. Crossword puzzle and pen - check (well you never know?). I was ready. So off I toodles to the station to catch the train into the city where I would meet my fellow bike rider, Rose (otherwise known as Le skinny dipper).

Don't you just love train rides? So many interesting people traveling about. This trip did not disappoint. I have a story and it goes something like this......

First, I must confess to leaving the house a little later than I planned. I only allowed myself 4 min to get to the station (the station is a 3 min ride away from my home- so long as there are no Sunday drivers around). As it turns out there weren't and so I just got onto the platform when the train arrived. I was a bit breathy, I admit. Unfortunately, I did not have a ticket. So I had to feed this machine with all this loose change I had grabbed from the piggy bank (as I was dashing out the house). I was really hoping I had pinched enough. A funny thing happened )an understatement). When I put the last coin into the slot it came whooshing out from the return slot. I mean it was like a missile. The coin starts making its way down the aisle. I had no choice but to chase it down..... you are really going to have to visualize the rest ... not necessarily a pretty sight.

With ticket in hand I wobble down the aisle to find a seat. The only one available was across from this little old lady who was smiling away at me like I was either her long lost child or she thought I was nuts. The train ride took about 30 min and this lady talks and smiles to me for all of them. I listened and hoped that I was nodding and smiling back in the right places (her English was broken and it was a noisy train). Anyhow, when we got into the city station she smiles at me one last time and says, 'You are a good person. You spoke to me. You listened to me - other people they turn from me. You are good - cause you smile."

I'm telling you - I could have floated all the way to the place Rose and I agreed to meet. What a blessing.

So, it was time for the ride. But first things first. Priorities, right?

Paper - Check. Sunscreen - Check. Methyl Silicate (for the knee) - check. Support bandage (also for the knee) - check. Water - check. Mobile phone - check and Coffee - double check!

It took us forever to choose just the right bike (we hired them). Thumbs up Rose - we are ready to hit the path my dear. Pedal away!!!

Before you look at the next picture you just have to take my word for it that Rose and I did actually do some riding before we had this rest (we must have been riding for at least 30 min...). Also, remember that Rose had not been on a bike for 28 years and I have a bad knee - ok? Actually, we were cool riders - honest. I did promise Rose that I would not take a photo of her mounted on the bike. But if you want to visualize us pedaling - think - Armstrong ;)

So, we rested and enjoyed the view. I adamantly reassured Rose I knew where we were going.

On behalf of my own defense I just want you to know that Linear Park has a very complex and vast bike / walking trails. Anyone can take the wrong fork in the path! Besides, we were riding mountain bikes ;). And, if you look at the picture, my bike is already up the top and I am taking the picture - a born leader - that's me!

Two hours of riding later ... that's rose

and that's me.. flat on my back.....


Two hours down - and now we have to ride back - yippee!!

And just in case you were wondering what heaven really looks like,- hmmm - I have a picture for you - (in the far distance is the place we started - the bike rental man).

We gave the bikes back and managed to walk like two crippled geriatrics up this incline of a road to the Mall for a spot of retail therapy. On the way up I was brave enough to ask Rose what was next on our list of adventures - bring it on!!!!!

And now it is 7 hours post dismount and every muscle has seized up. I am feeling it!!!!! I am feeling it in places long , long, long ago forgotten!!!!!! To think - tomorrow I rise at the crack of dawn and get into the little lawn mower excuse of a car and drive 5 hours up to Whyalla to bring Jenna home (I'll be gone 2 days). Bring it on!!!!!!

Oh no, as I have been making this post I have just realized (remembered actually) that we have a cat. I have forgotten to make any arrangements for the cat. Oh pooh - oh bother!

Good night dear friends. I'll deal with that in morning (just before sun comes up).

7 comments:

Linds said...

I am deeply impressed. DEEPLY IMPRESSED!!!! And can I just say that you are looking amazing! I enlarged the photo to check out the new you. Superb! I feel you should go for another ride tomorrow. Those muscles need to keep going!

Aliadelaide said...

Sorry I missed your phone call hadn't put the phone back on since the movie,looks like you had a great time...well done to both of you!...Well Mary we have several bikes in the car port so you needn't hire one next time...start from our place even...

Aliadelaide said...

love the train story too...what's that scripture about "entertaining" angels...

Margaret Cloud said...

I have never rode a train but it sounds like fun, I have seen many documentaries on train trips. That is quite a bike ride and I would be sore also.

Crystal said...

Congrats to you for taking the plunge (not quite the right word!) and getting going on something active! I admire your energy and determination. Someday when I come to visit, I want to do something like this with you - okay?!

Last summer when we were hiking in the Rocky Mountains near Jasper with Meadow and her parents, a whole troop of mountain bikers came sliding down the trail behind us. They were quite rude - seemed to think the trail belonged exclusively to them when really they were on a hiking trail. The last person in a group of about 10 was a mom - maybe 45 years old. I was kind of impressed that she actually went out with her teenaged son and his friends and other family members. Just think - that could be you, if you come to Alberta! I'll show you where the trail is!!!!

Good luck with the drive - be safe!

Judith said...

Mary, I admire your resolve and determination. Getting from home to where you began the ride would have been enough for me. But what I liked most was your filling in for Angels. That supersedes everything.

JulieMom said...

Looks like you had a great ride!! I know I am late in commenting, but I hope the pain has subsided by now!