Sunday, December 7, 2008

The pendulum affect



Ah, the pendulum affect - was in full force today.

On one swing you have the humble practice of gratitude. On the other swing you have an appalling display of the wobbles - which I will call - 'The complete lacking of any display of gratitude which results in potential high blood pressure syndrome'.

Today I was a pendulum!

I've considered revealing all. But I think I might just leave it with these clues (they are not excuses - honest!)

Worship at Church - swing.
Phone call from friend with a not so subtle backing down of enthusiasm for a movie date (which she requested) - swing.
Certificate of acknowledgment for an emergency services orientation course completed - swing.
Packed to the rafters shopping complex (no parking spaces) - swing.
Table offered to have lunch from family who saw I needed a seat - swing.
Arrogant sales assistant who overcharged and then had a 'whatever' attitude - swing.
Kris Kringle present successfully purchased (within budget) - swing.
Daughter with a bucket load of attitude (we were there for her, after all!!!) - swing.
Phone call from same friend with a renewed enthusiasm to meet for coffee / movie - swing.
Car blocking my driveway - swing.
Finished School reports - swing.

So far the pendulum is on a positive swing - so this is what I will give thanks for.

Being thankful and displaying gratitude is not a guarantee for a perfect day. Days will be filled with all sorts of challenges, frustrations, disappointments, stresses and packed shopping centres - filled with pushy, stressed out shoppers. However, I believe that the more I practice noticing and expressing thanks for the positive things in my life (be they big or small) then I will be in a better place to accept the disappointments.


After all - let's put those negative swings into perspective - hardly catastrophic right?

"As we express our gratitude, we must never forget that the highest appreciation is not to utter words, but to live by them".
John. F. Kennedy

No comments: