Friday, December 26, 2008

The Christmas that was - pudding n all!

The girls and I started off the day by going to The Salvation Army for their Christmas service. The elderly gentleman who was at the door to welcome people took my hand and said, 'Oh , I didn't recognize you - all dressed up!!!!!." That really had me thinking - Do I usually rock up to church a little too casually? Fair enough, perhaps I don't put on the pearls, or the white gloves, or the fancy hat, court shoes etc etc etc - but I really thought I was neat and clean? Mmmmmm...

As the service progressed it suddenly dawned on me that the only two people in uniform were the officers. Everyone else was in civvies. That must have been what the old man was referring to - he didn't initially recognize me out of uniform. Bless him! (I don't wear uniform).

After a lovely service us girls went home to check on the progress of the turkey. Now remember, Son had informed us that we were going to have fish for Christmas. (I am no fish lover). I decided I would sneak a turkey into the oven (stand by - of course).

Mentally I went through a check list. Christmas tree up? Pressies all wrapped and under the tree? Check!
Table set?

Ok, I will confess that I had completely neglected to organize the table this year. Then I remembered the Christmas table cloth in the cupboard. I borrowed Ellisha's plates from her glory box (we only have 4 in the cupboard - and 6 people were eating). A few candles, last year's serviettes (also found in the drawer) and odd cutlery. Well, they all matched except for one set - I gave myself the blue handled knife from the picnic set. I rang up John and asked him to bring some glasses - he informed me he did not have any decent ones. 'Me either', I responded. Clearly this was going to be my problem - out came the plastic champagne glasses from our 'Mama Mia' evening.

Table set? Check!

Son had requested I make some of those custard horns - I used to make them all the time when he was little. Now, how did I used to make them?

I know, I know, the pastry is meant to be cool - not all stretchy. Still, where there is a will, there is a way - right? (I am a much better creator in my head than in actual reality).

Not a bad effort!

I know, I know, you are meant to wait for the custard to cool before you add the swirl of cream on top. (I was under time presuure!!!!)

Out of the freezer comes the zillion calorie Ice - cream cake that I had been creating all week.


What do you mean? That is a Christmas tree on top - with baubles - if you please. So, I need a few more lessons on my icing techique.


Like I said before - I create brilliantly in my head.
First layer - Oreo biscuits crushed - melted butter - chocolate topping.
Second later - Vanilla ice - cream with cadbury flakes mixed inside.
Third layer - whipped cream - oreo biscuits - whipped cream.
Fourth layer - Double chocolate Ice - cream.
Fifth layer - melted mars bars.
Sixth layer - vanilla ice - cream with crushed maltesers.
seventh layer - oreo biscuits - cream
last layer - double choc icecream with a thin layer of vanilla ice - cream.
and then of course the icing.


Armed with my new Christmas apron I reminded the kids that it was, after all, their idea to share the work load his year. Come on then - who wants to help?


"Look Mum - the fish!"

Well done son, I see you have added calamari - yummy! (The turkey is looking good folks).

"Love to help mum, but last week I made the gingerbread house - and I am exhausted!".

Well done, daughter - it looks magnificent!

"Jenna, the custard is finished!" Nice try!


Time to eat. The best part was they all went on automatic mode and put their hats on without my need to plead and coherse! Actually, the best part was John saying grace (it's been a long time since we prayed together).

After our meal (which was by some small miracle- delicious) we hit the Wii games. Notice the stance on Ellisha? She's the competetive one (not at all like her mother;)) Actually, John looks pretty determined himself!

The girls invited their friends for dessert. I made them have a little bit of everything. I had a small piece of the zillion calorie cake (looked ridiculous - but tasted GLORIOUS).

Time for a game of Taboo. Cross eyes (Rhiannan) was on my team - we lost!

It took us 10 attempts to get this photo. One day I might just post the others (perhaps not!).

David (son), Jenna (daughter), Ellisha (daughter) John (ex), Val (ex M.I.L) and me.

There is the sequel to the pudding story - but I'll leave that for another day.

P.S. I have to confess to eating too much - woke up next day with a food indulgence hangover.

6 comments:

Linds said...

Fabulous photos and you look 10 years younger and absolutely beautiful! And that cake....oh heavens....I do believe I see carrots in your future! It looks like a wonderufl day,a nd you all look so happy too!

Crystal said...

Merry, Merry Christmas!! I loved your descriptions and the fantastic ice cream cake!! I hope the whole season is peaceful, filled with joy and memorable.
((( HUGS )))

Margaret Cloud said...

Nice post, I liked your pictures, especially the custard horns (my favorite), you have a very nice looking family, they look like they enjoyed themselves.

Aliadelaide said...

like the other posters said great photos Mary and everyone does look as if they had a great day...what I value most is your refreshing great sense of humour in your descriptions of food prep and also your commitment to family and the sacrifices you make for that!

Edith said...

Great descriptions - glad you were able to enjoy the day.

Have a blessed New Year

Judith said...

I hadn't seen your children close up, but now I have, and Lady, you do very nice work making them beautiful!
Thought it great that they helped get things ready. My favorite touch of your feast was the napkins in your pretty glasses.

Love and Merry Christmas Mary, and a new year better than 2008.