Sunday, February 15, 2009

A few questions from Linds

Linds from Rocking Chair Reflections (hi Linds!) participated in a questionnaire and invited anyone who wanted to be interviewed by herself to simply ask. I asked and here is the interview. I must say that I had to really do some intense pondering - they were tough questions and I am not sure if I have done them justice - but here goes!

1. Who, outside your immediate family, has been the greatest influence in your life?

Fourteen people come to mind. That's right 14! My Granny; First Aid Cadet leader and Twelve goody-too- shoe Christian nurses. First my granny - You see my mother came from a middle class family. Her childhood was a somewhat privileged one. Mum was raised in a strict Irish-Catholic family - her dad was a doctor and her mother was a pillar to the community. Mum (bless her heart) married beneath her station. She married a protestant (and managed to get ex - communicated for her troubles). Granny was not too impressed with her choice of life partner and so suggested that if she went ahead and made her bed she had better be prepared to lie in it. Mum didn't do the whole poverty thing very well and life became very hard. So, I was born into a troubled marriage with an internal religious war imminent and extreme poverty. Dad was well on his way to becoming an alcoholic and mum had developed some mental health issues. Get the picture? My telling you this is not to draw sympathy or anything like that (nor do I want it to excuse or account for my own mixed up self) but to highlight the importance of my relationship with granny. So, Granny and Grandad would travel down by train from Birkenhead to Hoylake once a year and collect the grandchildren to go back to her place for a week's holiday. My brothers and sister usually cried until they were picked up early and I was left in heaven for the rest of the time. How can I describe the joy of fresh sheets on the bed, vegetables on the plate (eaten at a table at the same time every day), picnics with egg sandwiches and orange cordial, trips to the zoo, library, ferries, church, parks, Ice-cream, fizzy drink (a very special treat), a bed to myself, hankies to wipe your nose on (instead of screwed up newspaper) ...... so many more insanely beautiful memories. I loved my Granny and Granddad. I loved going to their place. I learnt a lot. My childhood was tough - and that's an understatement - but my granny and granddad were my saviours. They were my balance. They created memories that have gotten me through many a painful day. My Granny always saw beyond my rough, tough exterior and encouraged me to dream. My Grandad understood my inquisitive / creative mind and advised me to believe in myself - no matter who said differently. I could write a book on my memories of Granny and Grandad. I loved them.

Next was my leader in St John's ambulance. A kind, sensitive and insightful woman who understood and recognized that my parents had possibly neglected to educate me in some areas. I remember one day I went to visit her in hospital. She told me a story about a young lady she once knew who was a little shy in her general hygiene upkeep. This young girl did not know how to manage her menstruation cycles and was often teased by her friends for being a bit smelly. I listened intently and recognized straight away that I was in fact that young lady she was talking about. We said nothing more. But I learnt from her a little more about how to care for myself. I was not embarrassed then and am not embarrassed now to share the story. That kind woman saved me a whole lot of pain.

And then there were the twelve Christian girls. I was nursing at the time. I was 21 and out of control. I was drinking heavy, smoking heavy, playing around with drugs and - well - I think you get the picture? I was working in a country town where prostitution was openly paraded and there were 24 pubs on the 1 mile main road. The Church was organising a revival. The Pastor had challenged everyone to ask God to place on their heart a person who really, really, really needed Jesus. They were then to go and invite that person to the revival. So, I was in the wash room ironing my uniforms when a procession of goody- too -shoe Christian nurses came and invited me to some revival they were having. They came one by one and (as I learnt later) had no idea that they were all inviting me. I thought (at the time) that it was a pathetic attempt at bombarding me (a pay back for my bible bashing remarks I used to hurl at them) and was quite colourful in my rejections (especially after nurse number 7). By the time Coralie (nurse 12) came along I was fed up and over it all! I told her (in a rather condescending way) that I'de come. Of course I had no intentions of going (after all it was Wednesday and Wednesday in Kalgoorlie was pub night). It should not surprise you that God knew better. In what can only be described as a series of rather miraculous events I found myself sitting in church listening to the message, that I now realize, I was hungry to hear. For four consecutive evenings I rocked up and listened ( you should have see me - I was overweight with orange hair - David Bowie style - had on a mens lumber shirt with a packet of cigarettes proudly sticking out of the chest pocket - sad!). On the fourth night I went forward and gave my heart to Jesus - Hallelujah! I guess those twelve obedient nurses were pretty influential in saving my life.

2.What are the three most important things about raising a family that you would list?

How on earth do you narrow it down to three? I consider parenting to be a kaleidoscopic experience and therefore the important things you have to address change depending on the needs of the time. If I have to choose three - hmmm - let's see? - I will go for 1. The right to life. 2. The right to be loved and 3. The right to learn. Oh, and I am a firm believer in discipline and firm boundaries. I'll leave it at that or I will be writing a thesis.

3. What is your favourite song and why?

Almost impossible to answer. I burst into song at least every hour. A little line of a song here and then a little line of a song there. I have a line of a song for just about every occasion. And yet - I don't think I know one song from beginning to end. I love to sing and actually have (more past tense these days) a good voice (or so it has been said). I have sung at the Festival Theatre in front of thousands (ok, it was in a choir - still? - pretty impressive - I thought!) and on T.V (many moons ago). But favourites? I just can't remember - honest! Sometimes when I hear a song I'll go' Oh, I love that song!" or, "Oh, how could I have forgotten that song?" The other day I was singing William Booth's (Salvation Army founder), 'O' Boundless Salvation', for the first time in a life time - now that was incredible and I nearly sobbed my way through the last verse. I rather like belting it out with Barbara Streisand (if you personally know her - could you let her know I would so love to do a bit of a duet with her-ta!). I just love singing.

4. If you could be anything in the world, what would you choose to be?

This may sound a little mental - but - I want to be someones bestest, bestest, dearest soulmate friend. Full stop! (I've just rung my therapist for the next available session - ;)).

5. How do you see yourself - as a flower, a car or a food?

I am not sure whether I see myself as any of these. Sometimes I have enough trouble seeing myself as me. (I did say at the beginning I was struggling with these questions). How about a Zephyr (car) because although not necessarily the most attractive model they are strong and sturdy. They are roomy enough to take a lot of people along on a journey. They are reliable and when you see one passing you by they are hard to ignore. Then again -perhaps a sunflower? Bright, open, attention seeker - again - a bit hard to ignore a sunflower amongst the other little flowers (big head? -Moi?). No, wait - I think I'll go for a casserole - a bit of this, a bit of that (experiences) put them all together and what do you get? A wholesome, delicious, interesting, flavorsome, nutritious surprise flavour. Yep, lock in casserole thanks Linds. You never really know what you're getting until you arrive with your bowl.


Thanks for the questions Linds. Phew!

7 comments:

Kym-Anne said...

Sounds like we had a similar childhood. My Grandparents were my safe haven in what was a very stormy and sometimes downright ugly childhood.
I may not be your bestie but I consider you a friend even if it is the bloggy kind. I always look to see if you have posted, I love your wit and sense of humor, your writings and comments brighten up my day.

Linds said...

Well, thank you, my friend. You did brilliantly well at answering my questions. I am so interested in getting to know people better. This interview went really well.

Do you remember the photo of the patchwork quilt I made of all my friends for my 50th birthday present to me? The quote in the middle says - my life is like a patchwork of people who matter to me. That is what life looks like to me. A glorious patchwork of different colours, textures, people, and experiences. We all become a part fo each other's patchwork when we become friends.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us.

Heather M. said...

That was a marvelous interview!! I really like learning more about each of my blogging friends and you did a superb job. Grandparents are such an important part of one's life, aren't they? Yours sound like they were sent at just the right time every year. And the story of the nurses is amazing! I think I like the analogy of a sunflower best - it seems to me that you are joyful and stand tall in all of life's circumstances.

My questions are waiting at home. I'll have to do them later this week. Take care!

Heather M. said...

Ah - yeah - that's me, posing as my daughter! Sorry :))

Crystal

Margaret Cloud said...

Boy, how many times have I heard that phrase, you made your bed, now lie in it, these are very interesting questions.

Judith said...

Sometimes we need help remaking a bed that wasn't good for us. I think that's when God sends some helpful angels called relatives and friends, to help us find our way.

One things for certain, you cannot say the journey isn't interesting, and I am blessed to be one of your friends.

Rosaria Williams said...

Mary, when I see Barbara Streisand I will let her know/