Sunday, November 2, 2008

paddling on the inside

I went to bed last night with a lot of things on my mind. There are so many things that I am trying to bring before God in prayer - things that are about me and affecting me - disappointments, betrayals, finances, friendships, job prospects, weight, loneliness, parched spirit. I say 'trying' because although I know how to pray and although I definitely know the power of prayer (having experienced it on many 0ccassions - in the past) and although I believe in prayer - I am struggling to really connect in prayer - I feel like I am operating on such a superficial level - I have the words; I reflect; I praise His name; I ... there are a few "I" statements in there - I know!. So I try to rest in His arms. I bring other people's needs before Him - there are so many people (even here in blog land that are in need of prayer) - somehow praying for others is so much easier.

I woke up this morning and the first thing I heard was a great big (very big - very close) clap of thunder. I snuggled into my doona and enjoyed the experience. Then, the dark cloud ascended on me. Something was rumbling in the depths of my soul. Was it fear? Dissapointment (in self) ?
Depression?

This is me right now

We all know the metaphor - right?

For all intents and purposes I am keeping above the surface. I am meeting my childrens needs, I will be there for a friend if they need me (sincerely), I will write my school reports, I will go and celebrate a friends birthday, I will prepare my lessons for next week, I will go for a walk and enjoy this new day, I will continue to eat soup for one more day, I will stay off the scales for one more day, I will look like I am doing well - if anyone should Iask, I will say- I am doing well!

And, I'll be paddling furiously underneath it all.

Draw me nearer, precious lord - to your side - Amen.

4 comments:

Aliadelaide said...

I read somewhere that when we feel joy that's God,s gift to us...when we don't feel it..that's when He's asking us to give it all back to Him.
Hang in there Mary. You are a child of God...your self-giving commitment to others confirms it!

Judith said...

Oh Mary, even though I can't make how you're feeling, what you're going through better, I hope it helps even a little, knowing others, like me, understand, and are praying for whatever you need.

Linds said...

Me too - you are being prayed for. Next time you hear that clap of thunder, just remember that when you can't others can for you. And are. Trust. Just keep trusting.

Crystal said...

I'm praying too, Mary - just praying that God is keeping you close and that you are able to put it all in His lap. ((( HUGS )))