Sunday, November 16, 2008

A weekend getaway

I took off for a three day weekend break. I went armed with my laptop (I managed to reclaim it from son) in order to work through some end of year school reports. I also went armed with a bag of books (visions of comfortable chair, long, tall drink, Mama Mia CD?) and of course a new, but dear friend of mine (you may know him), Max Lucado.

My girls didn't really think I would do it. I am always saying I am taking off for the weekend - but never do. Responsibilities (let's not forget my girls are now 20 and 23!!), house chores ( do they ever really get to the end of the list?)., an invitation to have coffee (talk about timing????). Endless excuses. Not to mention that I like company - and I was going alone.

The girls went to Uni and work (respectively) and confidently chorused, ' See ya this arvo, mum ;)'.

No way! I got on the internet, booked a cabin at Goolwa (about a 2 hour drive) - close enough to get back should an emergency happen, but far enough away to make me stay when I got bored, through as much into the car as I could fit (including my portable TV/DVD and groovy camera and hit the road.

The drive down was pleasant enough. The cabin was okay! The tourist centre were very chatty (and helpful) and by 4 O'clock I was bored. I sat in front of the laptop and tried really hard to get motivated to write positive comments - failed! I grabbed a book and tried to read - failed! I went for a walk with my camera - failed! I had another cup of soup - I am so over this soup! I got on the mobile phone and checked in on the girls - they were fine. I rang a friend who lives an hour away from Goolwa. Bingo! She invited herself to come down Saturday for a couple of hours - (what a life saver - and how clever was I to sound like it was a lovely idea - if that is what she would like to do!!!!). God bless her.

Knowing that someone was on there way the next day I was able to surrender a little more into this self appointed retreat.

I had a little one on one with Max and then grabbed the camera again.

Ah, that's better - what a difference an attitude makes.

Each scene was whispering a new and refreshing message.

On Sunday I decided to book myself on a river cruise down the Coorong (part of the Murray River).

Oh My Lord! And I mean 'Oh My Lord' - glorious, so glorious. I took Max with me and finished the 'Traveling Light' book. I will be making my final post on what I have discovered soon. For now let me share with you the setting which allowed Max and God to do their stirring of my heart.

1 comment:

Linds said...

Beautiful! Beautiful! I am so glad you actually went!