Saturday, May 10, 2008

What a week!

Week one of a two week relief teaching adventure is over and I have survived. I was told that the class was very difficult and had some huge problems. I was told that they did not cope with change very well. I was told that they had 'potty' mouths. I was told that they found learning difficult. I was told that they were all in this class as their regular teacher was the only one who could control them. I was told that there were many angry students, non compliant students and some violent students.

Do you accept your mission?

Lets see. I was called every name under the sun. I was subjected to some pretty threatening body language. I was ignored. I was answered back. I was given the run around by some pretty fast escapees. I was given the 'salute' (several times). I was laughed at. I had a door slammed in my face. Oh yes, I nearly forgot, apparently I am the UGLIEST thing ever born! I was also told I was the meanest teacher on the planet and that I was a liar.

I also received a rose on day two from a boy who had nearly made me cry the day before (no rhyme, no reason). I had three girls come up to me and have a friendly 'girl' chat at lunch play. I had the whole class sitting on the floor quietly while I read a chapter of a book (twice). I should be honest and admit to speed reading!!!!! And on Friday four students (who had added several more clumps of grey hair to my head) came and said 'have a nice weekend'.

All in all I would say that it was a fairly successful week considering the class culture. I will not pretend that it didn't chip away at my psyche. I will not pretend that I wasn't pretty miserable at times. I wont pretend that I didn't pray like I've not prayed in a long time. It was tough. I worked hard. I cried into my pillow one night. I prayed for peace of heart and courage. I prayed that God would reveal His plan for me.

I am praying that God will show me what I need to see and hear and do as far as my future in teaching goes. I pray that He will take some of the pain and disappointments and uncertainties away.
_________________________

Saturday is nearly at a close. I feel (somewhat) refreshed (recovered?). My eldest daughter's netball team won (she's an awesome player). My two daughters and I have just had one of those silly girl moments (laughing, joking, singing and secret sharing). I am just about to put on my brand new flannel PJ's and cuddle up on the lounge to watch a 'girls' movie.

3 comments:

Linds said...

Do you think we are really twins separated at birth??????? Uncanny how our days are so similar. I got a huge rocket on Friday for being concerned enough about potential warfare between 2 students to log it so all staff could keep an eye on them, because it HAD NOT HAPPENED and therefore should not be on paper. I am suypposed to let them out of my class when the bell goes and pretend nothign was wrong. Hmmmm. I can't be like that. Difficult stuff.
I love weekends. Happy Mother's Day!

Linds said...

Forgive the typos. I hit post before I checked my words!

Linds said...

You could be right. I am about to go to work. Groan. I am reading Dancing with Eva by Alan Judd. A novel set around Hitler's bunker in the last days of the war.