Sunday, September 14, 2008

Review time

So, yesterday I crammed as many pills into my system as I could and caught the train into the city to meet my friend for theatre and coffee. I had considered pulling out because I felt like ........

Being the soldier that I am, and not wanting to disappoint my friend
( I had rung her with my croaky voice to check the details and her response was not,"Wow you sound sick , but rather "You're not pulling out on me are you?"). "Pull out - Me? No way!!!"

My friend was very interested in this particular performance -
LA FIN DES TERRES (LANSEND) as she was a great fan of Phillipe Genty's work and so she was wondering if this peformance would stack up to the very best theatrical visual illusions.


Well, I kind of thought it had its moments. It did have some Wow moments, but for me it had a kind of rehearsal stage feel about it. My friend was somewhat disappointed as well - not as good as Master Phillipe.

So, we went and had our coffee and then my friend pulled out a review she had tucked in her bag.

This is the review -

“La Fin des Terres (Lands End)” is the story of a meeting between two people and its imaginary resonance in the landscape of dreams. It conjures up a series of enigmatic characters, sometimes real, sometimes projected, which will come to reveal secret emotions and hidden histories. On the basis of this poetry, incarnated in animated forms and actors/magicians, which he relentlessly perfects, Philippe Genty continues his captivating and passionate exploration of undiscovered theatrical continents.

From illusion to reality, Compagnie Philippe Genty travels through a universe where absurd, derisive, cruel images fit into a method of association without narrative logic, as in a dream. These images rediscover old wounds, reawaken first fears, first desires and bear witness to our vertiginous within. The Company won the Critics’ Prize at the Edinburgh Festival for dance, though it isn’t only dance, it is a theatre but a theatre without text.

WHAT?

No way! Surely not?

This was Phillipe's work.

All I can say is that either my friend had over rated his work or this particular troupe sent all the way to Australia were apprentices.

Anyhow, the analgesia started wearing off so it was time to go home to bed.

As I was walking towards the car (my daughter came to pick me up) I noticed my foot was sore.

Clearly the pills I had popped earlier had been taking care of all sorts of aches, pains and injuries - now they were wearing off....


WARNING!!!!


What you are about to see is disturbing, I mean real ugly. I apologise in advance. Turn the other way if you feel a bit icky.


Are you ready for the ugliest thing ever ?


Okay.



I hope you are appreciating the pain here. Not to mention the poor , sorry state of my foot.

Hold onto your stomach! Here's the whole foot (if Linds is brave enough to show her knees....) .


Just how scary are them feet? I didn't realize they had become so deformed and old and well, deformed!!!! That little toe looks like a claw! My foot kinda looks like a blown up deformed rubber glove.


So, mediocre performance, one blister and an appointment with nail clippers.


On a completely different topic - I am going to try something different for the next four weeks. I am going to blog daily and have subjects for each day.

Monday will be called 'Monday Memoirs'.
Tuesday will be called 'Text Tuesday'.
Wednesday will be called 'Worship Wednesday'.
Thursday will be called 'Tempting Thursday'.
Friday will be called 'Frankly darling... Friday'.
Saturday will be called 'Sensory Saturday'.
and
Sunday will be called 'Snapshot Sunday'.

Now, on yet another topic - My cat wanted me to put up a couple of pictures of her (since the story she has become quite demanding). Fame!

1 comment:

Crystal said...

Oh, your poor feet! I feel for you - and then to have a cold/flu as well really makes one uncomfortable, I'm sure. I hope you feel better soon. And I probably would have gone to school and soldiered on with friends too!!