Thursday, September 4, 2008

Poor Gertie

Poor Gertie. Poor Gertie feels rejected.

The little short story on my last post was about my turtle, called Gertie, who was lost and abandoned and on a definite path to death. My kids and I rescued her just before she was to be swept away by a big wave on the beach (she was supposed to be wading out to the river). We walked (about 10 km's back along the beach on a 40 c day). We gave her our last bottle of water and willed her to live. She was the size of an Australian 50c piece. We filled the bathtub and placed her in the water. I did not know anything about turtles and so every time she went under water and stayed their too long I would grab her and put her on the ledge. Anyhow, she managed to survive me as well as the big monstrous wave. She now lives in a beautiful tank and is as cheeky as!

Mind you, she was really looking forward to somebody reading her story and having a guess at her identity.


Poor Gertie!

As for me? It's been a good week, all in all. The Sunshine is paying us a little visit (totally inspiring). I actually walked passed the chocolates at the supermarket - I so need to loose those 18 kilograms I have put on since January. If I don't I guess I'll just have to suffer in my long sleeves (no way will I subject anyone to these arms of mine).

Must go.

I'm off to walk around the lake (it's the very least I need to do if I am to stay true to this 'new me' look - I can almost see in my minds eye).

2 comments:

Linds said...

I thought a shell fish of some kind. Good to hear Gertie survived!
Hope you enjoyed to walk - I love walking. Running now and then too - and oh my word will I have to do a lot once I am mobile again. The past 11 weeks have been a nightmare for the backside and hips. And stomach and thighs and all the rest too. Groan. But there is an elegant slim me somewhere inside! I think.

Margaret Cloud said...

I am glad someone else rescues turtles besides me. I metal detect on our beach and every once in a while a baby turtle washes up on shore and I take it home and put it in a small lake by us. Just stopping by to say Hi.