Friday, April 10, 2009

Just a little cough and splutter in between notes

I woke up this morning feeling much, much better than I thought I would. I'll be honest and admit I did require a few pharmaceutical bits and pieces to camouflage some of the symptoms that were still present.

It was a beautiful service. The Officers (Salvo's) did a great job of creating a reflective and reverent place of worship.

My hands were a little shaky as I held on tight to the choral music. Part way through the service I could feel a cough coming on and was just about to clear the old passages when the choir stood up to sing. Ellisha misinterpreted my slight hesitation as a sign that I was going to pike out and literally pushed me forward (no time for that cough).

The song started. I sang. All was going well. Then that cough that had been ignored demanded a bit of attention.

Have you ever tried to release a subtle cough in between singing notes?

I thought I had an opportunity as the band swelled and so I took my eyes off the sheet music for just a sec. When I looked up it became rather clear to me that the rest of the choir had turned the page. I could not see the words I thought I was meant to be singing. Oh boy! Start lip synching ;)

I eventually caught up without causing a scene (I hope! ).

The end note was looming. I just knew I was not going to be able to give it all it deserved.

Hallelujah and thank You God for small mercies. I can say that I actually hit the right note and held it for about 6 counts - as for the last 12 counts - well - I held that look on my face as if sound was still coming out and snapped it shut when the conductor indicated. You should try it? It is quite a skill looking like you are pushing out a demanding top something or other when you are actually silent. The neck has to bulge and you have to have that agonized look on your face.

Well, according to my girls I definitely got the agonized look down pat.

Way too much fun.... and to think I get to sing two songs on Sunday (with the choir, of course!!!!!)

Many blessings to all.

5 comments:

Kym-Anne said...

Glad to hear your feeling a little better and you pulled off the lip sync!
Now off to bed with you until Sunday morning and with any luck you'll be right as rain for your next performance.

Rosaria Williams said...

You made it. Now, on to Sunday and big celebrations. Happy EAster.

Crystal said...

You create the best pictures with your words :)) So glad you were able to sing with the choir today. How about some honey and lemon juice with tea, several times a day? That often helps my colds. Praying for a joyous Easter, full of singing for you!

Aliadelaide said...

What a cute picture Mary! Will be thinking of you on Sunday...our service is tonight at 8pm...how are plans for PA?

Therese said...

so glad you are feeling better Mary.

Enjoy singing again on Sunday.