Thursday, March 19, 2009

Brought to you by the letter R

Here we go.......

It's time for a little of my famous Random Ramblings..... I am possibly the only person who truly appreciates the workings of my mind - still - read on if you feel so inclined.

Right - ee - o, let's begin shall we?

On Sunday the girls and I went to Glenelg (a seaside-ee, tourist-ee, shopaholic-ee place) for a much needed, 'let's all try to get along for a couple of hours', kind of an outing. Before you say anything I already know I am a woman with high expectations.

The outing was filled to the brim with the letter 'R' .

R for rebellion. R for Rage. R for restoration. R for Retail riots. R for 'right out there'. R for Rain. R for revelation and R for self- righteousness.

What an interesting few hours it was. You need to know that I consider myself to be truly blessed - at times - hmmmm...

First off - Daughter is going through a rather rebellious phase at the moment. 'I'm telling you - I am SO over it'. Bless her heart - she feels a need to back chat, argue, ignore me, give me the 'evil' eye, share snippy sarcastic verbal bulletins and, on the whole, is showing about as much flair in her rebellion outbursts to put me into Rehab. The girl is being a right royal pain in the rump. There, I said it - and - what's more -mean it.

Unfortunately I let her 'moods' get to me. I raised my voice to her. I really raised my voice. I was so frustrated that I opened my mouth and let rip. I courted a rage. I am not proud.

We needed a day at Glenelg. We needed a little restoration/rehabilitation.

It was at this lovely little hip hop and happening place that another R came rushing in to bowl me over.

Please welcome - Retail rioting.

I am walking down the street. I am minding my own business. It's true, thank you very much.

I enter a bookstore and I find this really good maths book. The price is very good. A real bargain. I decide I can well afford this great resource and so take myself off to the counter to pay. Welcome to retail rioting at its best.

The young 'barely out of nappies' sales assistant scans the book and after looking at the computer declares that the book is $9.90. I give her my card and she commences the transaction. Then the little upstart notices the sticker on the back of the book shows a price of $11.40. Little miss 'I don't know if I am Martha or Arthur' says, ' oh no, I mean its actually $11.40'(what do I do?). I suggest to her, ever so nicely - honest - that surely if the computer says it is a certain price then that is the price you sell it for. Baby face looks confused and so decides she had better ask the other, slightly, but not much, older sales girl for advice. The other girl also looks confused and eventually declares (with a wobbly voice of conviction) that they'll go with the $11.40 price. I think not!

After a little bit of back and forth (healthy) discussion about consumer law and practices the older girl suggests a little phone call to the boss may help resolve the issue. 'Go ahead,' I say, 'Phone him!'

Poor little mite - the look on her face was priceless.

She rings and (in front of me) proceeds to wave a flag in front of me by using words like ' she reckons' and 'SHE says it's consumer law, ha!'. The girl clearly has a death wish. That, or she hasn't picked up the clues that I am in no mood to go to battle with a young upstart without the intent of winning.

The girl's apparent confidence is growing by the mili-second. Fool.

I no longer cared about anything other than walking out of that store with the book for $9.90

I mean to say, please.

I told the girl that initially I was prepared to pay $11.40 - in fact I even told her I thought it was a very good price. The computer says $9.90. You initially asked for $9.90. I am wanting this book for $9.90. Not $11.40.

The girls argument was that the barcode on the book matched the barcode on the computer so therefore the book must be the price on the book. fantastic logic!

I argued that the barcode on the book also matched the barcode on the computer - so far we agree - right? Right! However, the matched barcode also says (on the computer) that the price of the book is $9.90.

The girl hangs up the phone and says I can have the book for $9.90 - this time - 'but'............... No buts about it........... Retail rioting - bring it on!!!!!

By now I desperately needed a coffee so off we went in search for a restaurant/ cafe. It was during this recovery time that the next R came a visiting.

But.... It is late and I have some school stuff to deal with. I will post tomorrow.

I can't promise it will get any better. My own behaviour probably continues to go on a bit of a downward spiral...

5 comments:

Rosaria Williams said...

Mary, I've missed your sweet bantering. What a clever story about retail business. Love it!

Kym-Anne said...

Oh the joys of shopping!! I really don't think there is any such thing as customer service anymore and what ever happened to the customer is always right!!!!
How old is your Little Miss, I had those problems with Moni from the age of 14 up to about 17. I'm so glad she has become 'human' again..lol

Therese said...

my nearly 14 year old is right there with your daughter. It seems to come and go so fast that sometimes I am left with my head spinning.

I thought we were going to have a really ugly Saturday a couple of weeks ago when she refused to do her job. I pulled out all the big guns, (no computer, no using my mobile no contact with any friends) and she just submitted just like that after about a half hour of rebellion. I couldn't believe it because she usually is so stubborn and sticks to her I will never do that for you.

Anyway I am glad you got the book for 9.90.

I also have to laugh because the verification word for my comment is mader. It should have another d to spell it correctly.

Edith said...

Loved your post - at first when you mentioned "retail rebellion" I was a little afraid you got in on some sort of a riot. Sounds like you handled the situation fairly well - I would likely have just said "oh well in that case I won't purchase it" and left.

Have a great day.

Aliadelaide said...

Yes shopping can get pretty intense these days Mary can't it...like wondering how difficult it is to use the coffee machine at Mackers, should we jump over the conter and offer assistance(!!) or how a mug of coffee can cost the same as a cup. Perhaps these little challenges are part of the shop assistant's way of livening up an otherwise dull day!...and teens well all I can say is there's no way I'd want to go back and think like THEY do!!