Saturday, May 2, 2009

A Soldier .......

That was me in 1983. I was about to be commissioned as an Officer (Lieutenant) of The Salvation Army (I know, it is a bit hard to believe...)

Seems like a life time ago! A lot of water etc......

Tomorrow I am standing before the Officers and soldiers at Ingle Farm Corp (Adelaide) and becoming a salvo (again).

I first became a soldier in Kalgoorlie in 1980. I was a brand new Christian. Within a year I was off to College where I trained to be an Officer (two years). I was ordained, commissioned, given an appointment and was off and running.

Things don't always turn out the way you think they will.

In 1987 I resigned from Officership and attempted to continue to worship with the Army.

But, by 1991 I had left the army feeling betrayed, angry and hurt.

For many years I solely blamed the Army for 'letting me down'.

Boy was I bitter!!!!!

It has been a long journey back.

Different churches.

Different experiences.

Different highs and lows.

Last year I walked back into a corp.

I wanted to be invisible.

I was invisible for some time.

Lots of things had changed.

Thankfully the hat had gone ;)

Slowly, the healing began.

Slowly, I started to recognise the importance of belonging to a spiritual family.

The importance of committing.

The importance of having a place which will help you be accountable in your walk.

The Army, in principle, holds you to a high standard. And so it should.

After all, it is not asking of me anything that God has not already asked and in fact empowered me to be.

So, tomorrow I will sign the articles of war and I will be a soldier of The Salvation Army.

Hallelujah!


P.S. I will not be wearing uniform for the time being - so there will be no update photo ;)

4 comments:

Therese said...

I am sorry you have experienced hurt from there Mary, but it is wonderful that you are putting it behind you and becoming a part of them again.

I will remember you tomorrow in my morning prayers.

Rosaria Williams said...

How did you decide to get back? It's not clear. Hopefully, your spiritual journey continues to bring you joy.

Crystal said...

I'll be thinking of you and the important service tomorrow. I agree that a faith family is an important part of your walk. I must admit that I don't know much about the SA - must go and research that a bit. Take care!

Judith said...

Oh sweet Mary, I am thrilled for you! I so understand discouragement, even from those who profess being Christians. But I am singing happily, that you're no longer letting less than perfect people get between you and our Lord.

I assume the Salvation Army is the same all over the world, and while I don't know everything about its membership and rules, I can so testify that the S.A.'s alcohol rehab program here in Denver Colorado saved the life of a very dear and precious friend. Even those close around her, including me, did not know how far down it had dragged her, but somehow she got in the program (which lasted a whole year). I was there when she graduated from it, and will always know God has a great life ahead, not just for her, but her little daughter.

I know I am going on and on here, but hope it's alright. The Bible teaches us we are to help those who most need it, and the S.A.'s work in this is a shining example of what church work SHOULD be about.

Over time I've learned more about you, your no nonsense ability to see things through, and your beautiful heart. So, wearing the hat, or not, I am sure you're exactly where God wants you to be.

If you do find yourself too close to people there who wear the title, but don't reflect the work and the love God tells us to do, find someone else to pal around with, and keep on doing what you're suppose to do.

One last thing about the alcohol rehab program. The one my friend was in; had to live there the whole time of the program. Only got passes when she earned them, and the program did not cost one red cent, not anything.

Doesn't it feel good, knowing you've got such an important part of your life straightened out.